Monday, October 14, 2013

3 day weekend, Columbus Day edition

It's Columbus Day today, and, as it turns out, the kids' preschool is closed and I am off of work, but my husband had to work. It was to be a full day of just me and my boys. I was looking forward to getting some stuff done.

The boys are not ones to let a mere holiday get in the way of their normal schedules, so they were still awake at 6 and 6:30 this morning. We three were all up and dressed and ready to take on the world by 8 am. Unfortunately, the world was not quite ready for us. Have you noticed that most stores don't open until 10 am on weekdays? Why is that? Target is the notable exception, which is, I think, why Target always seems to be the family-friendly destination of choice.

Even with the delayed opening, I managed to pick up some essentials from Target, get a new winter coat for the Big Kid, get some new fall clothes for boy boys, and have lunch out with them both before nap times. Home for naps, I did a load of laundry and listed some clothes for resale that I'd had sitting around.

This day of knocking things off my list has me thinking. What are the other things on my list that I just haven't found time to do yet? Things I haven't yet been able to fit into a weekend / evening include,
  • Get my flu shot (my husband is really on me for this one)
  • Go apple picking with the family (not much time left for this one; I went with Big Kid's class and that may have to be enough)
  • Finish fall weeding (time is running out for this too)
  • Pick up my new glasses (they've been ready for a month)
  • Buy new bras (I've lost a bunch of weight, and I have none that fit correctly)
  • Buy new clothes for myself (see previous)
  • Clean out my closets (the weight thing again)
  • Organize the papers in my office
  • Clean the house -- the whole house
  • Order pictures to fit into those frames I bought a year (!) ago
Of course, there are smaller projects I'd want to work on too, like organizing all of the things I've saved from the boys, baking and cooking things from scratch like I used to do, and then I'd even want to get out and hang out with people some! 

I wonder how much time I'd need to catch up on all of these things. Could I take a week off of work and feel caught up? A month? I suspect it's a bit of never because new things keep on coming in, but some of these things have been on my list for a while. It would be nice to get some traction around those.

Well, maybe another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment