Sunday, October 13, 2013

When Daddy is out of town ...

I didn't post much last week. That's because my husband was out of town and, unfortunately, this didn't make the, "This needs to happen or CPS will come / you will get fired / your house will burn down" list.

Every time my husband is out of town, it's the same thing. Day 1 fine, Day 2 is worse, and, by Day 3, we are all hanging on by a thread. This time, he was gone for 3.5 days. He was really pushing it. Here are how the actual events transpired this week.



Day 1 (Wednesday). I get up at 5 am, to make sure I'm dressed and ready to go before the little ones wake up. I'm ready to go by 6, but they are still sleeping, so I head downstairs, log into my work email, make oatmeal, make myself some coffee, and am feeling pretty good by the time they get up at 6:30. We make it to preschool on time. After school, we have a nice dinner. They are acting tired so they go to bed early and fall right to sleep.

I drink half of bottle of wine.

Day 2 (Thursday). I again get up at 5 am. Shower and dressed in time for the 3 year old to show up in my room at 6 am and the 1 year old to be awake in his crib at the same time. Get them dressed and downstairs. We have a bit of a struggle to get out the door, but we end up getting to school only a few minutes late. That afternoon, I am starting to drag. We had a bit of an incident around poop on the floor, but I was able to laugh it off and get on with the evening. The children go to bed without too much fussing.

I drink the second half of that bottle of wine.

Day 3 (Friday). My alarm goes off at 5, but I can't drag myself out of bed until 5:10. At 5:20, while I'm still in the shower, the 3 year old comes wandering in looking for me. He lets me know that the 1 year old is also awake. The 1 year old has a meltdown at 6:40 because he sees me making oatmeal and OMG he wants it now. The 3 year old has a meltdown at 6:50 because he wants something to drink and he doesn't want a clean cup out of the dishwasher. He wants a clean cup out of the cabinet. And clearly his mother is a fool for thinking otherwise. The 3 year old has a second meltdown at 6:55 because the oatmeal is sticking to his spoon and he doesn't want it there. Despite getting up ridiculously early, we are about 10 minutes late to school.

Neither child naps at school. I decide the idea of having a healthy dinner is overrated, so we eat fish sticks. The 3 year old passes out as the fish sticks are cooking. It's 4:30, and I really don't want him awake at 3 am, so I give him 20 minutes and wake him up. When presented with fish sticks, he throws himself on the ground and insists on speaking to his father. He finally calms down enough to eat one fish stick and 2 pieces of toast. Then he declares he's not tired. Yeah, nice try buddy.

Out of wine, I eat half a pint of Chocolate Therapy. I'm going to need a lot of therapy after this week.

Day 4 (Saturday). I didn't set an alarm, but the 3 year old comes wandering in around 5 am. It's too bad he didn't come with a snooze button. Luckily, it being Saturday, we can just snuggle in bed for a minute, before the other one is awake. We are all downstairs, and I am making breakfast by the time my husband gets home at 6.

My husband complains he didn't sleep well on the flight, and boy, is he tired. In response, I leave him with the children and go to take a long, luxurious shower all.by.myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment